Academic Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Engineering Academic Advising

What are the advising procedures for incoming Engineering Freshmen?

Engineering freshmen receive academic advising for first and second-semester course registration through participation in the University Freshmen Orientation Program. This is a mandatory program for all freshmen. Visit the website below for details:

All first-year students will be assigned a first-year advisor, and will be transitioned to the College of Engineering once the requisite course work is complete or they have reached 30 credit hours earned.

What are the advising procedures for new Transfer engineering students?

Initial academic advising appointments for transfer students are conducted in the Engineering Dean’s Office, listed above.

Transfer Credit Evaluation:
During an academic advising appointment, new transfer students will receive a transfer credit evaluation. Students should bring course descriptions, syllabi, and supporting materials for math, chemistry, physics, and engineering courses for transfer credit evaluation. These courses must be evaluated by the respective instructors using an Engineering Transfer Credit Evaluation Forms. To make this process go as quick as possible please submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation form before your meeting. THIS IS NOT A WALKIN MEETING.

Course Registration:
Upon completion of a transfer credit evaluation, students are advised and registered for their first semester courses.

Transfer students are also invited to register for the CSU Transfer Orientation Program. Visit the website below for details:

What courses do I need to complete to declare an engineering major?

In order to transfer from another college within Cleveland State or to move out of the Pre College of Engineering plan code, students will be required to complete the following coursework with a C or better grade:

  • English Composition sequence (ENG 99/100/101 and ESC 102 or allowable substitute) 
  • MTH 181 Calculus I and MTH 182 Calculus II (MTH 148 Business Math I and MTH 149 Business Math II for technology majors)
  • CHM 261 General Chemistry I with CHM 266 lab
  • PHY 241/ 243 University Physics I (PHY 221 College Physics I for technology majors) 

I have Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Credit, what works at CSU?

In order for Cleveland State to award the credit, student must have their scores sent to the University Registrar. Please follow this link to see the list of credit awarded for Advancement Placement, International Baccalaureate (IB), or College Level Examination Program (CLEP). 

It is always a good idea to check with your sponsoring agency to make sure you are following their guidelines to continue to receive funding. For example, you may be restricted to the number of online courses you may take, per United States immigration regulations or degree certification rules in your home country. Please follow this link if you need a letter from your sponsor for any of the following issues: degree progress, scholarship extension, online course permission, or change of major. 

Academic Misconduct Information

As there are several parts of the process in an academic misconduct case, please consult the separate web section. Follow this link. 

Where do current undergraduate engineering students go for advising?

Transfer students and returning students who are not freshmen, and who have received their initial advising for their first-semester course registration are assigned to a faculty or staff advisor from their respective engineering departments. The faculty advisors provide consistent academic advising for each student until graduation. Department faculty and staff are listed below. Current students are encouraged to call for an appointment each semester. Walk-ins are welcome according to availability. Department chairpersons serve as academic advisors during summer sessions.

Chemical Engineering

See Chemical Engineering Dept. for advisor assignments
Fenn Hall Room 455

Civil Engineering

All Civil Engineering Professors are Advisors
Fenn Hall Room 107

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Professor Murad Hizlan, Chair
Ms. Lydia Demjanczuk, Student Coordinator
Fenn Hall Room 332

Mechanical Engineering Professor Yongxin Tao, Chair 
Fenn Hall Room 232
Electronics Engineering Technology &
Mechanical Engineering Technology

Pam Kromer and Tiffany Murrell

Dean's Student Success Suite
Washkewicz Hall Room 305

Advising is also conducted through accessing the departments.

 Links to help with preparing for your advising meeting: