Academic Advising

Academic Advising

Welcome to the WCE Academic Advising

The Washkewicz College of Engineering provides academic advising for engineering freshmen, new transfer students, current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as prospective engineering students.

WCE Undergraduate Advising

Undergraduate students can also schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with an advisor using Starfish or by calling the front desk at 216.687.2555.

WCE Graduate Advising

Graduate students need to contact their department for advising:

Mechanical Engineering Department

Fenn Hall Room 232
1960 East 24th Street 
Phone: 216-687-2567

Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Fenn Hall Room 332
1960 East 24th Street 
Phone: 216-687-2589

Civil and Environmental Engineering Department

Fenn Hall Room 107
1960 East 24th Street 
Phone: 216-687-2400

Chemical and Biomedical Engineering Department

Fenn Hall Room 455
1960 East 24th Street 
Phone: 216-687-2569

Undergraduate Engineering Academic Advising

How to make an Appointment

In an effort to prepare our students for the real world, virtual or in-person appointment scheduling is necessary to help keep things running smoothly. To schedule a weekday academic advising appointment, follow the steps below: 

  1. Log on to your CampusNet account and click on your Student tab.
  1. Look for the blue star “Starfish”.This image shows the Starfish icon in the Student tab of Campusnet.
  1. Look on the left-hand side of the page, and click on: "My Success Network".
  1. You can make an appointment with your advisor by clicking their schedule appointment option.

You may have more than one person in your network and not all of them are academic advisors. For example, all engineering students are assigned a Co-Op advisor, this is not an academic advisor.  If you are pursuing a Math Minor, Dr. Leah Gold is not your academic advisor. 

Call 216-687-2555 or email:, if you do not have anyone listed as an academic advisor. Also,  if you know you are going to be more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, please call the number above - you may be requested to reschedule. 

Engineering Dean's Office Undergraduate Academic Advisors:

Pamela Kromer, M.A. 
Washkewicz Hall Room 305 F
Phone: 216-687-2555
Tiffany Murrell, M.S 
Washkewicz Hall Room 305 R
Phone: 216-687-5267 

*What are the advising procedures for incoming Engineering Freshmen?

Engineering freshmen receive academic advising for first and second semester course registration through participation in the University Freshmen Orientation Program. This is a mandatory program for all freshman. Visit the website below for details:

All first year students will be assigned a first year advisor, and will be transitioned to the College of Engineering once the requisite course work is complete or they have reached 30 credit hours earned.

What are the advising procedures for new Transfer engineering students?

Initial academic advising appointments for transfer students are conducted in the Engineering Dean’s Office, listed above.

Transfer Credit Evaluation:
During an academic advising appointment, new transfer students will receive a transfer credit evaluation. Students should bring course descriptions, syllabi, and supporting materials for math, chemistry, physics, and engineering courses for transfer credit evaluation. These courses must be evaluated by the respective instructors using an Engineering Transfer Credit Evaluation Forms. To make this process go as quick as possible please submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation form before your meeting. THIS IS NOT A WALKIN MEETING.

Course Registration:
Upon completion of a transfer credit evaluation, students are advised and registered for their first semester courses.

Transfer students are also invited to register for the CSU Transfer Orientation Program. Visit the website below for details:

What courses do I need to complete to declare an engineering major?

In order to transfer from another college within Cleveland State or to move out of the Pre College of Engineering plan code, students will be required to complete the following coursework with a C or better grade:

  • English Composition sequence (ENG 99/100/101 and ESC 102 or allowable substitute) 
  • MTH 181 Calculus I and MTH 182 Calculus II (MTH 148 Business Math I and MTH 149 Business Math II for technology majors)
  • CHM 261 General Chemistry I with CHM 266 lab
  • PHY 241/ 243 University Physics I (PHY 221 College Physics I for technology majors) 

I have Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Credit, what works at CSU?

In order for Cleveland State to award the credit, student must have their scores sent to the University Registrar. Please follow this link to see the list of credit awarded for Advancement Placement, International Baccalaureate (IB), or College Level Examination Program (CLEP). 

It is always a good idea to check with your sponsoring agency to make sure you are following their guidelines to continue to receive funding. For example, you may be restricted to the number of online courses you may take, per United States immigration regulations or degree certification rules in your home country. Please follow this link if you need a letter for your sponsor for any of the following issues: degree progress, scholarship extension, online course permission, or change of major. 

Academic Misconduct Information

As there are several parts of the process in an academic misconduct case, please consult the separate web section. Follow this link. 

Where do current undergraduate engineering students go for advising?

Transfer students and returning students who are not freshman, and who have received their initial advising for their first semester course registration are assigned to a faculty or staff advisor from their respective engineering departments. The faculty advisors provide consistent academic advising for each student until graduation. Department faculty and staff are listed below. Current students are encouraged to call for an appointment each semester. Walk-ins are welcome according to availability. Department chairpersons serve as academic advisors during summer sessions.

Chemical Engineering

See Chemical Engineering Dept. for advisor assignments
Fenn Hall Room 455

Civil Engineering

All Civil Engineering Professors are Advisors
Fenn Hall Room 107

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Professor Murad Hizlan, Chair
Ms. Lydia Demjanczuk, Student Coordinator
Fenn Hall Room 332

Mechanical Engineering Professor Yongxin Tao, Chair 
Fenn Hall Room 232
Electronics Engineering Technology &
Mechanical Engineering Technology

Pam Kromer and Tiffany Murrell

Dean's Student Success Suite
Washkewicz Hall Room 305

Advising is also conducted through accessing the departments.

 Links to help with preparing for your advising meeting: