Academic Advising

College Petition Information

There are two main petition processes at Cleveland State University.

  • First is the College Petition, which is used for college-related issues.
  • The second type is the University Petition, which is typically used for any other issue the College Petition does not cover or for University General Education inquiries and waivers.

Graduate Students Petition Forms

Undergraduate College Petition Forms

Adding a Course After the Semester Deadline

  • Use this form once the semester deadline has passed (after first week of classes).
  • NOTE: No classes beyond the first week can be added without this College Petition form.

Withdrawing from a Course After Semester Deadline           

  • Use this form once the semester withdrawal deadline has passed, which is typically the 10th week of the semester.
  • You must indicate in your narrative whether you are withdrawing from ALL your courses, or just one or more.
  • If you are withdwrawing from fewer than all your courses, you will need to include an email or letter from your course instructor(s) documenting the status of your performance as of the last day of your attendance in the course. 

Readmission into the WCE After Suspension

  • Use this form once you have not enrolled for courses at CSU for at least two terms (includes summer semester) after your semester of Academic Suspension standing.
  • If you are unsure about your standing, please email:
  • In addition to the petition, a student narrative, and the PDF icon Academic Success Contract must be completed and turned in with the petition. 

Forms for Issues Not Listed Above

Grade Dispute Form - CLICK HERE

Grade Dispute Form: Use this form only after you, the student, has communicated with the instructor of the course about the grade dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved, and the instructor confirms they are not going to change the grade. When a resolution to change the grade is found either at the instructor or chair level, then a grade change form is to be submitted by the instructor. Grade Disputes must be submitted no later than the last day of instruction for the semester immediately following the semester the course was taken. For example, the end of Spring term for a disputed grade in a Fall course.

University Petitions - CLICK HERE

University Petition to be Used for Any of the Following Situations:

  • Waiver of a university requirement. For example, waiving an Arts and Humanities general education course;
  • Application of an transfer course to a university requirement;
  • Waiver of residency to go to another college or university after the student has reached 60 earned credit hours;
  • Restoration of University Catalog Rights; and/or
  • Other: Consult with your advisor about which petition form you need (University or College) for your unique issue if it is not covered by one of the listed categories above.