Mechanical Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions for Master's Degree

Frequently Asked Questions:

What to expect during the Master's application process
Necessary materials
Follow-up to your acceptance.


  • What programs are offered in this department?
    A.MS in Mechanical Engineering
    4+1 Program
    Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
  • How long does it take to complete each degree?
    MS in Mechanical Engineering generally takes 4 semesters for a full-time student.
    4+1 Program generally takes 8 semesters of full-time undergraduate course work plus 2 additional semesters of graduate course work.
    A Ph.D. of Mechanical Engineering generally takes 4-6 years of full-time course work and research. Students beginning the program with an MS in Mechanical Engineering generally finish the Doctoral degree sooner than students beginning with only a BS degree.
  • How do I apply for graduate studies in Mechanical Engineering?
    Click this link for application information
  • I have a B.S. in Engineering. Can I apply to the Ph.D. program directly?
  • Can I study towards a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering part-time?
    Yes. Courses are available both during the day and evening.
  • Do you offer online courses in Mechanical Engineering?
  • What are my chances of being admitted to the Department of Mechanical Engineering?
    Click for link to admission requirements for MS in Mechanical Engineering.
    Click for link to admission requirements for 4+1 program.
    Click for link to admission requirements for Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering. 
    Additionally, students admitted to the MS in Mechanical Engineering program generally score in the 75th percentile or higher on the GRE quantitative exam. 
  • Does Mechanical Engineering admit applicants for the Spring semester?
  • Does the Department have a supplemental application?
  • The GRE General examination is required if one or more of the following conditions is true:
    The undergraduate degree was not awarded by a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology or the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board of the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers.
    The student's undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is below 2.75.
    The year of the baccalaureate degree precedes the date of application to the College of Graduate Studies by more than six years; however, in this case, the examination requirement may be waived, by the program, if the applicant's undergraduate grade-point average is 3.0 or above.

  • I have a non-mechanical engineering undergraduate degree, do I need to take additional engineering courses?
    Yes. Please click this link to see the additional bridge courses you need to take and other pertinent information.

  • Which versions of the GRE will you accept?
    We will accept all valid versions of the GRE. Scores are valid for 5 years.
  • Does the Department require a GRE Subject Test?
  • What are the Institution and Department Codes for the GRE?
    The school code for Cleveland State University is 1221. No program code is required.
  • What are the testing requirements for English language proficiency?
    Please visit the graduate admissions requirements page on this matter.
  • Can I send copies of my GRE and/or TOEFL score reports so you can review my application?
    No. All test scores must be issued to Cleveland State University directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) or any other institution offering the test.
  • *When is the deadline for letters of recommendation and transcripts?
  • *Do I need to send you an original or certified copy of my transcript, what about my official degree confirmation? If yes when is the due date?
  • What type of information should be included in my letters of reference?
    things like how you've done in a class, any extracurricular activities your recommender knows you've been involved in, how they think you'll be suited for graduate study, how you compare to other students in your program. Submit a résumé to your recommender as that will oftentimes help give them a little more background when writing your letter.
  • How do I obtain a Graduate Student Instructor position or a Research Assistantship?
    Teaching assistantships can be awarded to current students once they have completed one semester at CSU.  Teaching assistantships are not awarded to new students in their first semester.

    Research assistantships are granted by individual faculty members to students with exceptional potential for research.  The assistantships are generally awarded to doctoral students and not generally awarded to MS students.
  • Can the application fee be waived for me?
  • Can I be admitted conditionally?
  • What are the procedures to transfer into a graduate program in Mechanical Engineering?
    If you are not a current CSU student you may apply for admission to the program.  Up to nine credit hours from a graduate program at another institution may be transferred pending review by the CSU graduate program director.

Return to top of page


  • Does the Department require that I calculate and list my grade point average (GPA) on the application?
  • I already have funding. How should I indicate that on my application?
    A student’s funding source does not affect the admission decision. 
  • Where do I send the application fee?
    Payments should be submitted by credit card only.


  • I applied after the deadline. Will my late application be accepted?

  • *Will I be notified when my application arrives or is complete?
    ask admissions.
  • How can I check on the status of my application and/or supporting documents?
    Login to CampusNet with your CSU ID to check the status of your application.

  • *I want to replace an old document with a revised one. How do I do this?
    ask admissions
  • *I sent my TOEFL to the wrong institution code. Will you be able to receive them?
  • Can you check if you received my test scores?
    Login to CampusNet with your CSU ID to check the status of your application.

  • My recommender hasn't received an email asking him to complete my letter of recommendation; can you send/resend an email notification?
    ask admissions
  • I've submitted my application. Can you please tell me if there are any other materials I am required to submit?
    Login to CampusNet with your CSU ID to check the status of your application.

  • *When will I know the results of the application process?
    Applicants who are offered admission will be notified by the department as we make our decisions.
    Students admitted for the Spring semester will be notified by November 15.
    Students admitted for the Fall semesters will be notified by

  • How can I defer my admission to a future term?
    Send an email to the graduate program director to request that your admission be deferred.
  • *How do I accept/decline an offer of admission?
    We should have a way to do this.
  • *How long is an admission valid?
    ask admissions office


  • What is the cost of graduate study at Cleveland State University?
    A breakdown of the various tuition and fee costs per credit hour for one semester is available at here.
  • Who qualifies for a need-based financial aid?
    There is no need-based financial aid for graduate students.
  • What type of financial assistance is available for international students?
    Teaching and research assistantships are available as mentioned above.
  • *How do I apply for a merit-based fellowship?
    Mention choose Ohio first

Return to top of page