The faculty mentor is a key academic link in the chain for each student. Responsibilities will vary with the individual student, but will include the following points on a mutually agreed basis:
- For the ESC 300/400 course, a section will be set up for the Department. The mentor for that Department will be the Instructor and will be responsible for ensuring students meet all the requirements, as well as issuing grades to students.
- The student will be required to contact his/her mentor to review the technical aspects of the Co-op Learning Objective Report and the position description. The mentor will contact the company directly regarding technical questions or collaborate with Fenn Co-op staff to resolve any issues with the employer.
- The mentor and student will identify other areas where the mentor could provide technical guidance or assistance. These areas may include advice on how to approach a problem or where to obtain information when the student is confronted with an assignment for which there has been no training provided. The mentor and/or Fenn Co-op Staff may also contact the employer, if necessary.
- Evaluate the student’s final report and the employer’s performance evaluation. Compare the accomplishments against the defined work experience objectives.
- Visit the work site for as many employers as possible during one academic year. Plan the visits with the Fenn Co-op Staff.
- Forward all documents to the Fenn Co-op Office (objectives, evaluations, reports, etc.).